Can my husband sue me for the remaining 7 months rent in a 1 year lease, if I were to leave now?

UPDATED: Mar 19, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 19, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my husband sue me for the remaining 7 months rent in a 1 year lease, if I were to leave now?

My husband and I live in an apartment where we have signed a 1 year term lease it’s been 5 months and there’s seven more months remaining. I am contemplating of filing for a divorce because during another argument we’ve had recently my husband threw me out for the third time. I was wondering if I were to leave now can he sue me for those 7 months left on the rent?

Asked on March 19, 2012 under Family Law, Oregon


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

It is legally possible for your husband to bring a legal action against you for one half of the rent for each month left on your current lease if you vacate the premises and leave him responsible for the entire amount. From your question, you could be responsible for one half of the seven months remaining if you left today and found your own place.

I suggest that you consult with a family law attorney about your matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption