Can my husband put me on the street?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my husband put me on the street?

My husband and I have only been
married for year and we have a
beautiful six-month-old baby girl. For
a while now things have been pretty
rocky with our relationship. His dad
purchased a house for us and it’s fully
paid off . me and my husband and his
dad are all on the deed of the house. A
few months ago we went out of state to
visit his family and we brought our baby
with us we stay down there for a little
bit and started getting into more
arguments since we staying with his
dad in the arguments became more
frequent his dad told me to leave and I
respected that and left to come home .
I have been staying here at the house
for a month and a half now and my
husband and I are currently separated
the plan is to file for divorce and he
threatens me on a daily to kick me out
and to get me removed off the deed if I
don’t reply to his messages or do
anything that he wants. Sometimes
things will seem like they’re going fine
and then he’ll blow up out of nowhere I
just wanted a peaceful divorce I didn’t
want to go through all this trouble. But
I am on the deed of the house so is he
able to kick me out ? You keep saying
that his dad and him can just remove
me off the deed by filling out a piece of
paper and I am in need of major legal
advice because I feel like my husband
is manipulating me and trying to hold
things over my head I need to know
what he can and can’t do And I will
be getting an attorney for the divorce
but I don’t meet with them till next week
so I’m trying to get the answers now
because he straightening to kick me
out now .

Asked on March 17, 2016 under Family Law, Missouri


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Until there is a formal separation agreement, final decree of divorce or other court order in effect, the home is still considered to be the "joint marital residence". This means that you have as much right to occupy it as your husband. This is true no matter whose name is on the deed. If your husband (or his father) attempts to put you out, you can legally regain entry. At this pont, you should try and consult directly with a local divorce attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption