Can my husband legally have me remove out our home

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my husband legally have me remove out our home

The home is in his name. We been married
about 12 years. Can he legally have me
remove from his home and sell my stuff
to get his money back

Asked on November 21, 2018 under Family Law, Wyoming


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Unless and until a legal separation agreement has been entered into or a final decree of divorce has been granted that states just which one of you has the right to occupy the house, then it remains the "joint marital residence". This means that you both have the right to live there, no matter whose name is on the deed. At this point, you should consult directly with a local divorce attorney. If money is an issue, you can see if Legal Aid can be of help. If not, you can check if there is a law school in your area as many run legal clinics that take clients for free or reduced fees depending on finances. Further, you can contact the local county/state bar association and ask if it has a list of attorneys who will represent clients "pro bono" (that is for free) based on their income/circumstances. Finally, you can file yourself. Here is a link that you'll find to be of help:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption