Can my husband have me arrested for forgery when he knew I was signing his name?

UPDATED: Dec 3, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 3, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my husband have me arrested for forgery when he knew I was signing his name?

Before my husband and I were married we took out some student loans to help pay for my college and the cost of living off campus. I was the applicant and he the cosigner. He signed the first few. Then told me just to sign his name on the rest. Now we’re married but I want a divorce. He’s told me if I leave him he’ll claim he knew nothing about the $100,000 in student loans and will have me arrested for forgery and take our daughter. Can he do this? What can I do to stop it? I’m seriously terrified.

Asked on December 3, 2011 under Criminal Law, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Your husband can make threats that you improperly signed his name for student loans that he took out. However, from what you wrote, he authorized you to sign his name for these student loans. Most importantly, he and you both received the benefit of the student loan for you.

I sense that your husband is trying to intimidate you into staying in the marriage which is wrong in my opinion. From what you have written, I do not see much chance of law enforcement filing criminal charges against you for something that happened years ago before you married your husband especially in light of the marital tension between you two.

I suggest that if you have not seen a family law attorney yet, that you do so soon.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption