Can my husband force me to leave a property that neither he nor I own?

UPDATED: Sep 8, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 8, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my husband force me to leave a property that neither he nor I own?

My husband and I are seperated and are talking about divorce. Currently we reside in a college owned property that is apart of his compensation package. We are both employees of the college and I would like to know if he could force me to leave or demand that I work additional hours to provide more income for myself?

Asked on September 8, 2011 under Family Law, Pennsylvania


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You need to seek help from an attorney as soon as you can.  This is not your every day issue and how the courts in your area will determine the status of the property is best known to a PA attorney.  IF I had to give an educated guess I would guess that he possibly can make you leave.  If it is part of HIS compensation package - like a lease in his name only - then you are not a tenant on the lease, unless you can prove otherwise.  Now, if I represented you I would say that you are a tenant at least to him if maybe not to the college and then you need notice to leave.  Seek legal help.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption