Can my husband deduct my court ordered alimony from my profit share of our business?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my husband deduct my court ordered alimony from my profit share of our business?

The court ordered my husband to pay alimony to me in a domestic violence injunction I hold against him.
Since we own together a company, my husband deducts the amount from my profit share. Can he do that or would he have to pay the alimony from his profit share?

Asked on December 24, 2016 under Family Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

No, he has to pay it from *his* share of profit (and/or from any other income he has). Paying it from your share of the profit is making *you* pay your alimony, which is a violation of the court order, which requires him to pay it. Since he is violating the order, you should be able bring a motion for contempt against him in family court, asking the court to punish or sanction him until he makes good on the almony from his share and ceases doing this in the future.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption