Can my husband be fired for having an anxiety attack?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my husband be fired for having an anxiety attack?

My husband has severe anxiety that causes him to pass out if he doesn’t take his medication, yesterdy he forgot to take it with him to work. He just started this job this week so he is on However, he had an anxiety attack near the end of his shift, EMS was called because he passed out and his supervisor told him that he would be notified whether he could come back or not. Can they

terminate him for something like this?

Asked on January 25, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Yes, he may be terminated not for having an anxiety condition, but for failing to take his medication and passing out at work, which is very distruptive to the employer (work disrupted by having an employee pass out, by having EMS respond, etc.). An employee may be terminated for what he does at work when that is at least in part under his control (i.e. the failure to take medication), even if there is some underlying medical cause. For example, a drug addict or alcoholic, who has a medical condition (an addiction) can be terminated if he drinks/takes drugs at work or is impaired at work. Similarly, someone with a medical condition which can be managed but who fails to do so can be terminated for disrupting work due to it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption