Can my husband and another woman rent an apartment together?

UPDATED: Sep 17, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 17, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my husband and another woman rent an apartment together?

Can I stop that? What are my legal rights as his wife? We have not lived together for over a year. We have not filed for divorce. His and her name are on the lease.

Asked on September 17, 2010 under Family Law, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

To begin with, you have my sympathy. Unfortunately, there is no legal way to stop your husband from doing this, just as there is no legal way to stop him from going to strip clubs, indulging in a gambling binge, buying a car you don't want him to, etc.--as an adult, he can purchase goods and services, rent property, and sign contracts.

You should speak with a family law attorney and consider a divorce very strongly. Your husband's actions, from both a moral and a financial viewpoint, will be considered or taken into account in a divorce--and could lead potentially to more support or other monetary adjustments--but there's no way to stop him from doing it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption