Can my hours be changed to a day for which I have no childcare?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my hours be changed to a day for which I have no childcare?

When I started my job I explained that I could not get anyone to watch my child after school on Wednesdays. We live in a rural area and there is only 1 child care option but it is closed that day. New Link Destination
make up the hours I miss, I come in on Saturday mornings since my husband can watch our children as he has weekends off. However, now my employer is insisting that I work Wednesday afternoons instead of Saturday mornings. What can I do?

Asked on October 28, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Maine


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Unless this action violates the terms of an employment contract or union agreement, you have no claim. The fact is that most work is "at will" which means that a company can set the conditions of employment much as it sees fit (absent some form of legally actionable discrimination). Bottom line, you can be scheduled for work as your company deems neccessary regardless of your time restrictions. If you cannot work your assigned hours you can be terminated.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption