Can my fiancee travel if he’s trying to get his citizenship?

UPDATED: Jul 4, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 4, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my fiancee travel if he’s trying to get his citizenship?

He has his green card but was told that he was not allowed to travel. We wanted to go to the Bahamas for our honeymoon but don’t want to mess up the process of getting his citizenship.

Asked on July 4, 2012 under Immigration Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

So long as your fiance' has a valid green card along with a valid passport and United States visa for re-entry into the United States pending his application to get citizenship in this country I see no factual or legal reason why some person suggested that he not travel pending the application process to get citizenship in this country.

I suggest that he speak with the person who told him not to travel out of the United States to get the reasoning for that suggestion. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption