Can my fiancee get his child support adjusted now that we have a child together?

UPDATED: Sep 6, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 6, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my fiancee get his child support adjusted now that we have a child together?

My fiancee has 2 kids from a previous relationship and we now have a child together. Can he have his support adjusted with the state?

Asked on September 6, 2011 under Family Law, Washington


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The factors that the Court considers in modifying a child support order vary from state to state.  So this question is best asked to an attorney or child support office with in the state of Washington.  Now, what I can tell you is that in Washington state, the courts allow a person to modify or change a support order on two major grounds.  One is if two years have gone by since the last Order of Support was entered, and either party wishes to have the income reviewed, or the other is if one year has gone by and the order as it is written has the application to the situation of creating a "substantial economic hardship" on one of the parties.  Not having enough to make ends meet is one of the things to consider here.  So contact your local division of child support offices.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption