Can my ex-husband take me to court for not paying off a car and credit card in the timeframe he feels is sufficient?

UPDATED: Dec 13, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 13, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my ex-husband take me to court for not paying off a car and credit card in the timeframe he feels is sufficient?

We were divorced about 5 years ago and I have had financial difficulties but have been paying regularly on the car and credit card. There is only a few hundred left on the card, but $3500 left on the car. He is threatening to take me back to court to have my check garnished if I don’t have it done by the first of the year. I have already been paying twice the payment amounts but won’t be able to have the card paid off then. I can have the credit card paid though. Can he take me to court and get even more money? Can he get my check garnished? There was never a signed agreement as to when it would be done by.

Asked on December 13, 2011 under Family Law, Kansas


Hong Shen / Roberts Law Group

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Taking you to court for what? If the original court order did not specify when you should pay it off and you in good faith have been keeping up with the payments, the most this guy can do is to let the court set up a schedule from now on. His self-imposed deadline does not work in the eyes of the court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption