Can my ex-wife refuse to bring my kids up to me without repercussions if the decree doesn’t address that specifically?

UPDATED: Feb 10, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 10, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my ex-wife refuse to bring my kids up to me without repercussions if the decree doesn’t address that specifically?

I have been paying child support since the divorce, which was over 10 years ago. I have been unemployed for about 18 months ago, and have just recently not been able to pay child support (the last 2 months). She has remarried and lives in one city and I live in another. We had verbally agreed upon her bringing the kids up to me on Friday on my scheduled weekend with my kids, and for me to bring them back on Sunday. It’s not stated in the decree as to how I would see the kids, but she now states that she won’t spend her money to drive them up here.

Asked on February 10, 2012 under Family Law, Colorado


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Okay so here is my real worry here: that you have not paid child support for the last two months.  And although I can understand and sympathize with you on the meeting half way issue, if you brought that up in court at this point it might fall on deaf ears.  So what you need to do is this: you need to go to court to modify the support agreement based upon a change in circumstances.  Now.  You have lost your job and you need to make sure th court is aware of it.  At the same time ask the court to clarify the exchange and make a proposal much like the one you had thought was agreed upon. Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption