Can my ex sue me for money she claims I owe her for bills she paid while we were together?

UPDATED: Sep 4, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 4, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my ex sue me for money she claims I owe her for bills she paid while we were together?

I dated a girl for 2 years or so. Now that we have broken up, she and her father say I owe her $2500 for money she spent on my household to pay bills and such. She never lived here officially but was here almost all of the time. I never agreed to pay her back for any of this; there is no written agreement or contract. Can she go to court and force me to pay this or is she just blowing smoke?

Asked on September 4, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, South Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Your former girlfriend has the right in this country to sue you for money she spent on your household while you two were together. Whether she can establish liability and damages against you in another matter.

I find it odd that after the end of the relationship that she is now demanding payment of money that seemingly was provided as a gift to you or as a joint benefit to her and you, for example money for grocery bills.

Your former girlfriend has the burden of proving her claims for the return of the claimed $2,500 or so. If there is no written agreement for the money she expended by way of a promissory not or a letter signed by you, it would appear that she will have difficulty in getting a judge to award her the money claimed from what you have written.

It seems that she wants to have items that were gifts when initially made returned to her. Once a gift is made, it cannot be reclaimed by the person giving it.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption