Can my ex lie about paying my debit to collect money from me?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my ex lie about paying my debit to collect money from me?

My ex and I had our divorce finalized 6 months ago. I was ordered to pay a number of debits, 2 of them are in his name. On the first of this month I received an email from my ex demanding $250 that he claimed he paid on a bill in his name saying it was

Asked on March 13, 2018 under Family Law, Minnesota


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry.  Can he lie?  I think your question proves he did lie.  If he is harrassing you file a protective order against him.  But you should reply to his email calmly and state the terms under which you were to pay the bills and proof of payment.  Be calm and start with something like "I can understand your ocncner and under the agreement I have X amount of months to pay the bill.  If you paid it please send proof" and then decide how you are going to handle it (paying him directly, etc).  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption