Can my ex-husband get child support modified on the past year he has not paid?

UPDATED: Dec 18, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 18, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my ex-husband get child support modified on the past year he has not paid?

My ex-husband is trying to modify child support and alimony after being behind by 12 months. He claims he can’t find a job and was laid off (he quit and had his boss lay him off so he could get married and move). He can’t have the past year modified, can he? He lives inhis new wife’s 5000 sq ft home in a gated community. He claims he can’t find a job and I am left trying to take care of my kids.

Asked on December 18, 2011 under Family Law, Utah


L.P., Member, Pennsylvania and New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Thank you for submitting your question regarding past due support and any possible modifications, on behalf of your ex, for child support payment.  Family law matters, such as child support, payment in arrears, child custody, and child visitation are all governed by state law, and as such, the laws will vary from state to state.  However, the common theme in courts for child-related issues is to make decisions centered on the best interests of the child. 

The court will determine child custody based on the best interests of the child test.  The factors of this test include, but are not limited to, the character and morality of both parents, any evidence of alleged neglect or abuse from either parent, consideration of which parent is likely to support the child’s relationship with the other parent, and the proposed home for the child.  The court will award physical custody and determine one parent to be the custodial parent in the area where the child can thrive the most, including their education and developing friendships.  This is to assess legal and physical custody.

When assessing the financial standing of both parents, the court will require both parents to produce a lot of personal financial information.  If your ex does not make the court aware of the size of his home or any other possessions that he has of great value, then you need to bring it to the court’s attention, because he is completely misleading the court, and that is in most case illegal, and in some cases frowned.  Either way, it would not look good for him to think he can out smart the judge.

If you need further assistance on this matter, you can always contact a family law attorney in your area. 


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption