Can my ex husband dispute the division of our marital assets after the uncontested divorce has been finalized?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my ex husband dispute the division of our marital assets after the uncontested divorce has been finalized?

Our uncontested divorce was finalized 7 weeks ago. Now that he has taken a closer
look at the signed decree, he disputes the amount of his retirement account I was
awarded, 60. We both signed off on this, after HIS legal document preparer
drafted the papers and a judge finalized it in June. I have already submitted the
decree and necessary paperwork to the retirement office for disbursement but it
takes time to process. The ex’s LDP is asking me to voluntarily waive it to 50.
What type of recourse can they take to interfere with this process? Can he
legally dispute the division of our assets after it’s been finalized?

Asked on August 6, 2018 under Family Law, Arizona


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

He is going to have a hard time setting aside the documents he signed in the first place.  It is a contract and if the documents were prepared on his say so then I would say that the court is not going to be so sympathetic.  He has an issue with his preparer.  You need to decide if you want to stand your ground or concede and not go through the hassle.  If, however, you were awarded 60% becuase he received other marital assets in a higher percentage then that is your ground to stand as well.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption