can my ex husband authorize others to pick up childre from school?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

can my ex husband authorize others to pick up childre from school?

I have sole custody of my 3 children, and my ex has visitation every other weekend and MUST pick the kids up from school on his Friday. but always sends other people I do not know.

Asked on August 25, 2017 under Family Law, Oklahoma


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Yes, he can do this as long as the terms of his custody (e.g. the custody-related terms or provisions of any divorce decree or settlement/agreement) do not bar it. When he has custody (e.g. on his visitation weekends), he has all the rights that any parent does (again, subject to any restrictions or limitations in the divorce paperwork); just as a non-divorced parent could send a friend in his/her stead to pick up a child, so can your ex.
If you feel the people he is sending are unsuitable (e.g. drive drunk, use drugs, criminal, violent, etc.), then you can bring that to the family court's attention: he can't endanger the children. But if they are, broadly speaking, suitable, he may do this.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption