Can my ex get me for adultery if she walked out on me 3 years ago?

UPDATED: Apr 10, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 10, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my ex get me for adultery if she walked out on me 3 years ago?

I started dating a year ago. Now my girlfriend is pregnant. I’m going file for divorce in next few weeks.

Asked on April 10, 2011 under Family Law, Louisiana


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If by your ex you mean your spouse, you need to understand that every state is different in terms of whether divorces require fault on the part of one spouse (adultery, abuse, abandonment) or if it can be merely via irreconcilable differences.  If your spouse left you three years ago, there is good argument she abandoned you and have been separated now for three years. Divorce at this point may simply be a matter of filing the divorce documents (a matter of formality). She abandoned you and you have been living separate and apart for over 180 days. While adultery is absolutely prohibited, it appears she abandoned you. Talk to your divorce attorney about these issues and see if you just wind up getting a default on her since she abandoned you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption