Can my ex-boyfriend take me to court and have an order put in place so I can never take our 2 daughters out of his home school district?

UPDATED: Nov 12, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 12, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my ex-boyfriend take me to court and have an order put in place so I can never take our 2 daughters out of his home school district?

Asked on November 12, 2012 under Family Law, Ohio


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Your ex-boyfriend can take you to court and ask the judge to place a geographic restriction on where you live to insure that he has frequent access to the childrend.  Emphasis here is he can "ask."  This does not mean that the judge will impose the restriction, especially if his interest in the children has historically been limited.  The judge can grant his request and it does happen, however, it's not something judges always do.... especially in this economy when many parents have been forced to relocate for work.  If he does take you back to court, stress and highlight the need for mobility for employment on your part.  Also make a counter request for increased child support in that if the restriction limits your earnings, that it also limits your ability to provide a higher income to your children-- and that expense should be offset by an increase in his support obligation.  Again, the judge may not grant your request, but it will make your ex- think twice about filing for a request that ends up costing him more than he bargained for. 

Until he gets some order in place that restricts where you live--- move where you want to.  If the children get settled into a new district now, you would have the additional argument that adding another move could impact their school and emotional performance.  You can also make the argument that it's easier for him to move into the children's new district, rather than uprooting the children from their new friends and routines.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption