Can my employers do nothing about theft

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my employers do nothing about theft

I work in a school system and had informed my supervisor and the superintendent of the school about employees stealing and taking extra long breaks. By the schools guide lines the employees should have been pit on probation or fired but my supervisor and the superintendent both did nothing and harassed me for telling. Are they allowed to ignore the law and then harass me for pointing out something illegal?

Asked on September 7, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Your employer is not the police: they have no more obligation to do something about thefts than your neighbors would. If you are aware of employees who are stealing, report them to the police; the police handle crimes.
As to long breaks--it's up to an employer when to tolerate employees taking extra long breaks or not. They don't have to; they could take action about this. But they are not required to; they can ignore some employees abusing their employment or violating the rules.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption