Can my employer write me up and than make changes to the write-up without my knowledge?

UPDATED: Feb 18, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 18, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my employer write me up and than make changes to the write-up without my knowledge?

My employer wrote me up and I signed it. On the write up was a note in the corner that said “2nd warning 3rd may result in termination. Later, without my knowledge, somebody crossed out the first note and changed it to “2nd warning 3rd will result in termination” and initialed it. Does this make the write up still valid? Nobody told me of this change and wouldn’t I have to be notified and initial it to indicate I understood and agreed to the change?

Asked on February 18, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, New York


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If the previous note was what you agreed to and not the third note, then yes, you needed to be informed of this change prior to signing any documentation. You should contact personnel and indicate this is what occurred. If that does not help you, contact the department of labor in your state and file a complaint.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption