Can my employer threatened to terminate me for taking my spouse back into my home after a domestic assault?

UPDATED: Aug 30, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 30, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my employer threatened to terminate me for taking my spouse back into my home after a domestic assault?

The assault did not occur during work hours or on work premises; however, I have been told that if I get back together with him, I will be fired.

Asked on August 30, 2011 Mississippi


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am not sure I understand how your employer can dictate what occurs in your private affairs unless he has threatened work, has shown up to work or your temporary restraining order (if any) also involves the work premises. If the two of you live together and he is also employed by your employer, then there may indeed be a work issue but generally speaking your employer cannot dictate with whom you live or associate outside of work hours in a normal work environment. Consider talking to a lawyer who has represented you in any domestic assault issue.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption