Can my employer tell me that i cannot bring my fiance to any office functions because because he is a former employee who was fired 7 years ago?

UPDATED: May 27, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 27, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my employer tell me that i cannot bring my fiance to any office functions because because he is a former employee who was fired 7 years ago?

I have worked at my place of employment for 9 years. 7 years ago i met another employee and we started dating. He only worked with me for about 5 months before he was terminated. We are still together have a son together and have been engaged for 6 years. There have been several occasions where my boss has pulled me aside after learning of an upcoming office function, and reminded me that my fiance is not allowed to participate because he was let go. All memos state all spouses and significant others are welcome. Im just wondering if this is legal?

Asked on May 27, 2009 under Employment Labor Law, Wisconsin


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I don't know of any law that would make it illegal.  Your fiance isn't being subjected to discrimination based on anything illegal, like race or religion.  He's being "discriminated" against because he was fired from that company.

I'm not a Wisconsin attorney, and I can't tell you for certain that you don't have a case, especially without knowing all the facts.  If you want reliable advice, you will need to see a lawyer in your area, and give him or her the whole story.  One place to look for an attorney who might be able to help you is our website,

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption