Can my employer tell me that my options are to either go to a seminar or I can quit?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my employer tell me that my options are to either go to a seminar or I can quit?

Employer told me I have to go to a seminar on sales on my day off, depriving me of one of my 7 days a month with my son. When I told them I would rather not go they told me my options are going or I can quit. I think they want me to quit so they wouldn’t have to pay unemployment for firing me. I understand they can fire me but can they tell me I have to quit?

Asked on August 5, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If you don't show up at a seminar or event to which your employer requires you to go, then the employer can treat your non-appearance as a resignation: employees can resign by action as well as in so many words, and not showing up to work (including at a seminar) can be considered an act of resignation. So the employer could consider that you quit if you don't go to the seminar.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption