Can my employer take away my holiday pay without giving me any notice?

UPDATED: May 20, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 20, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my employer take away my holiday pay without giving me any notice?

My employee handhook states that I am entitle to 7 paid holiday, but I was informed today that I will no longer get paid for holidays.

Asked on May 20, 2009 under Employment Labor Law, New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Unless you have an employment contract providing otherwise, or are covered by a collective bargaining agreement (union contract) going forward, except where prohibited by law (and I am not aware of any NY law that says employees get paid vacation - but I am not an expert on labor law) your employer can change the terms and conditions of your employment, reduce holidays or make them unpaid, eliminate vacations, reduce your pay, or fire you, on a prospective (going forward) basis. The employer can not change already vested benefits -- such as days already earned. Also, the employer can not single you out on the basis of race, creed, color, national origin, veteran's status, etc.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption