Can my employer suspend me for making a complaint against a co-worker?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my employer suspend me for making a complaint against a co-worker?

I work at a restaurant that has surveys at the top of the receipt. I wasn’t in uniform and was paying for my food, so I did the survey and made a complaint against the girl making my food. She was being rude to me because of how I wanted my food made and took a long time to make it, hence making everybody else’s food instead of mine. I received a 5 day suspension because of the survey complaint

Asked on January 27, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Ohio


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Unless this your treatment constituted some form of legally actionable discriminaton (but it does not appear to) or violated the terms of an employment contract/union agreement, it was legal. In an "at will" work relationship, a company can set the conditions of employment much as it sees fit. This includes who to suspend and why. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption