Can my employer schedule me off on my final day of work?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my employer schedule me off on my final day of work?

I gave my 2 weeks notice on the 15th
making my final day on the 29th. My
work has scheduled me to work the
27th but off the 28th and 29th. If
the hr and payroll offices are
closed on the weekends do I get paid
for 2 hours for having to come into
work to get the check? Or do they
have to mail it on that day to not
face the penalty?
Please help me out…

Asked on November 25, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Your employer not you determines what days you work, and "two weeks notice" is a custom, not the law--that is, you can't dictate that you will work until the 29th. Your employer may have your employment end on the 27th, and under the law, you are *not* paid for time you spend traveling to pick up your final paycheck. They can mail it, or you can come pick it up; either way, you are only paid through the end of your working.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption