Can my employer release information from an internal affairs investiagion to a third party?

UPDATED: Oct 25, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 25, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my employer release information from an internal affairs investiagion to a third party?

My employer initiated an internal affairs investigation based on a supervisors complaint. the complaint includes all details of both mine and another officers alleged misconduct. Is there a due process violation according to us code?

Asked on October 25, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Maine


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

As a general matter, any private party may release any information--including the results of an internal affairs investigation--to any third party at will. There is some specific information that  should not be disclosed, at least without a court order ordering it--certain health related information an employer may have; results of any employment drug tests; financial information, like your bank account number, they might have for  payroll purposes; etc.--but "due process" and similar considerations apply to the government, not to private persons or  businesses.

If there was an agrement with you to keep the  information confidential, you may be able to bring a legal action to enforce that agreement or to seek compensation for its violation. If htis was the case, you should consult with an attorney in detail about the situation. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption