Can my employer make me take a blood test to show that I don’t have any immune compromising diseases because of a cold sore?

UPDATED: Jun 27, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my employer make me take a blood test to show that I don’t have any immune compromising diseases because of a cold sore?

Also, can my employer obtain my medical records (medical progress notes) from a doctors visit that I had concerning a cold sore to verify if I could return to work.

Asked on June 27, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Whether or not your employer can legally seek and obtain your medical records with respect to a "cold sore" issue depends upon what is stated in any employee employer hand book at your place of employement.

As such, you need to careully read this document if it exists in that your answer will be in it. If there is no documentation that you signed with our employer allowing this information to be given to your employer, then he or she is not legally entitled to such.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption