Can my employer make a meeeting mandatory but pay me less than my hourly rate in cash?

UPDATED: Sep 20, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 20, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my employer make a meeeting mandatory but pay me less than my hourly rate in cash?

Asked on September 20, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you are an hourly employee, as long as 1) you are told of the different rate prior to the work (in this case, the meeting) and 2) the rate equals or exceeds minimum wage, you can be paid a lower/different rate for meetings--the law does not require that each aspect of your job or duty gets paid at the same rate. (Note: this also assumes there is no employment contract setting your rate; if there is, the terms of the contract must be followed.)

Paying in cash is legal, if unusual, BUT all proper withholding (e.g. for FICA; for state unemployment; for worker's comp; etc.) must be done.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption