Can my employer hold my paycheck for 2 weeks?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my employer hold my paycheck for 2 weeks?

My employer told me that he was late on getting my

Asked on November 20, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

No, legally, you have to be paid at least semi-monthly (on a regular twice a month schedule) and the employer is not permitted to delay your payroll. Practically, there is nothing you can do to expedite the payment: by time any legal action, whether by youself (e.g. suing) or the state department of labor (if you were to bring complaint) could be taken, you would have long since been paid, rending the action moot. (That is, there is no action you can take that will get you the money faster than by the 30th.) You don't have any practical options other than to wait for the money.
The employer also is not responsible for your inability to pay your car insurance, since the employer is not responsible for you failing to have savings you could use to pay it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption