Can my employer hire someone who has little or no experience over someone who has 7 years experience?

UPDATED: Jul 5, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 5, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my employer hire someone who has little or no experience over someone who has 7 years experience?

There was 2 positions available. I have 7 years experience with the company. My employer hired a person with 1 year experience for 1 position. The second position was given to someone who was a temp employee who had only been with us 7 months (only 7 months experience)

Asked on July 5, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, California


Hong Shen / Roberts Law Group

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

It is hard to say. Employers many have other things to look for before hiring. What you are concerned is whether there is a discrimination, particularly if it is an age, sex, or ethnics based discrimination. There is no law says the employer cannot hire someone with less experience.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption