Can my employer fire me if I no longer have FMLA leave while I’m on short term disability leave?

UPDATED: Aug 15, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 15, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my employer fire me if I no longer have FMLA leave while I’m on short term disability leave?

I was recently diagnosed with PTSD and I had FMLA leave through my employer. I used up all available FMLA leave and was told by my employer that I could take paid short term disability leave. My employer called me 35 days into my leave and told me they couldn’t hold my job past 30 days. Are they allowed to do this? Do I have any legal recourse?

Asked on August 15, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Arizona


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Arizona has no state short-term disabiliity program, so any short-term disability paid leave you have is being supplied by your employer.  If they only offer 30 days coverage, then that is what they offer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption