Can my employer fire me because I have a medical condition that doesn’t allow me to work in freezer.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my employer fire me because I have a medical condition that doesn’t allow me to work in freezer.

I work at Wholefoods market as order selector I
have a medical condition that doesnt allow me
to be in negative degree temperature. We have
two section meat/frozen and produce they are
firing me for not being able to work in freezer
yet there are other people that don’t get put in
freezer for religious reason as he cant touch
pork. They easily could put me in produce and
That would be that instead they want to fire me
for being disabled.

Asked on August 10, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Washington


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If an employee has a disability (which is a medical condition, not easily controlled or remediated, which has a detrimental impact on life activities or quality), then the employer must make a "reasonable accommodation" for him/her. A reasonable accommodation is a change which is not too expensive or disruptive to the employer. Accommodating employees by allowing them to not work in the freezer for religous reasons shows that allowing an employee to not go into the freezer is reasonable--it is clearly not too expensive or disruptive, since the employer is already making that accommodation. Since the employer could reasonably accommodate you but is not, this may be illegal disability-based discrimination: you should contact the EEOC or your state's equal or civil rights agency to look into filing a complaint.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption