Can my employer dock my pay for a personal debt between my boss and I?

UPDATED: Aug 26, 2016

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 26, 2016Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my employer dock my pay for a personal debt between my boss and I?

I owe my boss long time friend about $800. The debt occurred before I was employed with

him. I’ve been paying him back every paycheck about $200. Recently when I received my check I saw a $200

Asked on August 26, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Arizona


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

No, it is not legal. An employer may not dock pay for money owed the employer unless the employee agrees to let the employer do that. (More generally: an employer may never deduct from a paycheck for any reason except when the employee consents to the deduction, or when required by law, like court-ordered wage garnishment.) If the employer docks pay without consent, you could file a complaint with the state department of labor, and/or sue (such as in small claims court) for the money. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption