Can my employer dock my pay for items on his truck?

UPDATED: May 19, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 19, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my employer dock my pay for items on his truck?

I got a DOT Inspection and had to have 4 new tires. My boss is docking my pay for the four tires. Can he legally do this? or is there something I can do? If he can not legally dock my pay for the tires can I hold his truck till he pays me what he owes me? He fired me as well!

Asked on May 19, 2009 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I think your former boss might have a problem, as far as docking you for the cost of the tires, especially if he can't prove that it was your fault the tires needed to be replaced.  However, unless you have a very specific employment contract (very rare for truck drivers) or you are part of a union, you can be fired for no reason at all, and it's legal.

If there are more facts to this case, and you want to be sure, please see a qualified labor attorney in your area.  One place to look for the lawyer you'd want is our website,

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption