Can my employer deduct from my weekly wages for ‘what they feel’ is excessive idle time in a company vehicle? FL

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my employer deduct from my weekly wages for ‘what they feel’ is excessive idle time in a company vehicle? FL

I would just like to know if my employer can deduct from my weekly earnings for what they feel is excessive idle time in company vehicle. This is relating to fuel consumption while on the job.

Asked on April 3, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

No, your employer may not do this. The law is very clear that an employer may not withhold or deduct from employee pay without either 1) employee consent or agreement to do so; or 2) a court order (e.g. wage garnishment).
There are many things they can do if they feel you are idling excessively: terminate you, for example; suspend you; demote you or cut your pay; change your job or duties. But the can't deduct pay.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption