Can my employer come after me for stealing ifI quit?

UPDATED: Oct 24, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 24, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my employer come after me for stealing ifI quit?

I have heard from a reliable source that I could be getting fired for theft; not much was taken. I think that they probably have me on camera but I was wondering if I quit before they can fire me, can they still come after me? I know it was stupid to do and don’t want a criminal record.

Asked on October 24, 2011 under Criminal Law, Nebraska


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

1) If you stole money, you can be sued for the amount you  stole, and it doesn't matter whether you are still working there, fired, quit, etc. The status of your employment has nothing at all to do with whether or not they can sue you. If you stole, you *can* be sued--if it's a small amount, they may choose to not do so (not worth their time) but they would have the right to take legal action.

2) Wholly separate from being sued to recover the money, if you stole, they can alert the police and press charges. Again, whether or not you are still employed by them has nothing to do this; also, they can press charges even if they choose to not sue you. If charges are pressed, definitely get a criminal defense attorney to represent you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption