Can my employertransfer me to a whole new department if it will involve excessive training without a wage increase?

UPDATED: Nov 4, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my employertransfer me to a whole new department if it will involve excessive training without a wage increase?

I work for a national retail home improvement chain. My store manager is trying to place me in a specialty department without a wage increase and says it’s a lateral move. This is totally against my will.

Asked on November 4, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, New Jersey


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Do you have an union agreement or employment contract that prohibits this change? Does it violate existing company policy? Is this move the result of actionable discrimination? If so, you have protection; if not I'm afraid that you must either accept the transfer or face possible termination.

The fact is that an employer has a great deal of discretion in setting the terms and conditions of employment. This includes mandating the rules and regulations regarding a change of duties and/or salary adjustment. If you disagree with this your are free to quit. However, if you don't agree to such a change your employer can terminate you (and without notice). This is called "at will" employment.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption