Can my daughter take her 2-year old and come stay in the same state with us before serving divorce paperwork to her husband?

UPDATED: Jan 1, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 1, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my daughter take her 2-year old and come stay in the same state with us before serving divorce paperwork to her husband?

My son-in-law is verbally/emotionally abusive, and his anger issues seem to be escalating. We would like for her to come stay with us – 7 hours away from the father – and would assist her in accommodating visitation with the father and child. We don’t want to risk her being the one with whom the child resides, after the divorce, so we don’t want to make rash decisions. Divorce paperwork would be served on her husband, while she is in our home.

Asked on January 1, 2012 under Family Law, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Even though she would still be in the same state, 7 hours away could be a problem.  But if she is leaving because she is in fear of her safety and for the safety of the baby, and she really has no where else to go, then the courts may not be too harsh on her.  But what I would suggest is that she speak with an attorney asap about filing for a restraining order and temporary custody of her child now, before even divorce papers, just to give her some legal rights with the baby at this point in time.  Ask the court to allow her to move and set up a visitation schedule (supervised) with the father.  You seem to recognize that just leaving could jeopardize custody so deal with it up front.  And do not be surprised if the courts do not allow her to move that far away.  It is a distinct possibility.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption