Can my condo association give out my personal contact information without my consent?

UPDATED: Oct 6, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 6, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my condo association give out my personal contact information without my consent?

My association gave out my phone number to all unit owners.

Asked on October 6, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Delaware


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If your homeowner's association gave out your personal information such as contact information without your consent, obviously it can. The issue is whether or not it was allowed to or not from a legal standpoint.

In order to ascertain this, did you ever advise your homeowner's association orally or in writing not to give you your contact information to others? If not, then what the association did was legally allowed. If you advised the association not to do what it did regarding your contact information, then what it did was improper. However, even though the act was improper, how were your legally damaged?

Is your telephone number listed or unlisted in the telephone directory?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption