Can my company fire me ifI don’t sign an arbitration agreement?

UPDATED: Oct 18, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 18, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my company fire me ifI don’t sign an arbitration agreement?

Mutual agreement to arbitrate claims so I cannot sue them for any reason.

Asked on October 18, 2010 under Employment Labor Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Unless you already have an agreement or contract, including being subject to a union or collective bargaining agreement, whcih guaranties your employment or limits your employer's right to fire you, you are an "employee at will." An employee at will may be fired at any time, for any reason, or no reason at all--and refusing to sign an arbitration agreement (or a non-competition agreement, non-solicitation agreement, confidentiality agreement, etc.) would absolutely constitute valid grounds to terminate you. So unfortunately, the answer is yes--you company can choose to fire you if you do not sign the agreement, and, in fact, agreements like this are typically signed with the (at least implicit) threat of termination to make employees sign.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption