can my case be changed even though i have been convicted and have done trhe time.

UPDATED: May 19, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 19, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

can my case be changed even though i have been convicted and have done trhe time.

i was arrested for demestic violence on sept 25th and was convicted i never hit my girl friend just yelled at her she later told me while i was incarserated that she hit her self so i could be punish for what i said and now there is a restraining order and we want it lifted what can i do and its a felony.

Asked on May 19, 2009 under Bankruptcy Law, California


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

There's a lot more that I'd want to know about this situation before giving you advice.  I think you need to have a long talk with a good attorney, probably one familiar with both criminal law and domestic violence issues, before doing anything at all.  One place you can find the lawyer you need is our website,

Having domestic violence restraining orders removed is possible, but not always easy.  That can be done without anyone having to say that your girl friend lied to get the restraining order, if the court is convinced that you are not a danger to her now.

However, getting your conviction itself removed is a very different problem.  That almost certainly could not happen based on the truth, without your girl friend admitting in court that she lied under oath.  That's called perjury, and she could go to jail for that.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption