Can my boyfriend take his key and lock me out over any disagreement we have if it’s his home?

UPDATED: Nov 2, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my boyfriend take his key and lock me out over any disagreement we have if it’s his home?

I moved in with my boyfriend. Every time we disagree about some minor issue he either damages my property, kicks me out, or takes his key, locks me out of or turns off the electricity in the room with my items (clothing, computer, etc.). I pay my share of the expenses. Is this legal?

Asked on November 2, 2011 under Real Estate Law, South Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

From what you have written about paying your share of the expenses that you have for the unit you are sharing with your boyfriend, you essentially are a tenant of his. What he is doing is legally impermissible as to locking you out, turning off the electricity or the physical abuse that you have written about.

From what you have written, you should evaluate whether or not you really wish to remain in the premises you are sharing with your boyfriend. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption