Can my boyfriend keep my personal belongings?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my boyfriend keep my personal belongings?

My boyfriend and I are breaking up. We lived in his
parents home. I never paid any rent, my boyfriend
was paying for rent. I was never had an agreement
where I had to pay anything. And now that I want to
leave he’s telling me I can’t get any of my things and
clothes until I pay two years worth of rent. Can he do

Asked on August 1, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

No, he can't; and if he tries to do this, he is committing theft and you can call the police and press charges. (You could also sue him for the value of the items he took.) He could *only* keep your belongings if you agreed to let him do so; otherwise, even if you did owe him money, he has to return your items to you. If he feels you owe him money, the legal way he can seek it is by suing you and trying to prove in court that you owe it to him.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption