Can my boss fire me if I ask for a day off to go to a funeral and go even though I’m scheduled that night?

UPDATED: Jun 26, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 26, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my boss fire me if I ask for a day off to go to a funeral and go even though I’m scheduled that night?

Asked on June 26, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Connecticut


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Do you have an employment contract that prohibits your employer's action? Does your discharge run contrary to a union or collective bargaining agreement? Does this action violate exisitng company policy? Is your treatement the result of actionable discrimination? If not, then your employer's action, while seemingly unfair, is legal.

In an "at will" employment relationship (and most are), an employer can set the terms and conditons of the workplace much as it sees fit. This includes terminating an employee for not showing up when scheduled, even if their absence was due to attending a funeral.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption