Can my boss fire me for going home for school breaks?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my boss fire me for going home for school breaks?

I am a student at university. My boss is trying to force me to stay to work Christmas and other school holidays. I have taken off the previous summer in its entirety establishing the precedent that I as a student return to my home on school breaks. This year I started renting a house here although I only live here for the school year because it is cheaper, because I now have a house here, my boss says I have to stay and work and It’s ridiculous to request off a month for december even though I am a part-time worker, student, and my permanent residence is not here. Is this legal. Am i forced to stay and work If i want to keep my job?

Asked on November 8, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Georgia


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Unless this action violates the terms of a union/employment contract or contitutes some form of actionable discrimination (which it does not), it is legal. The fact is that most employment is "at will" which means that a company or business can set the conditions of employment much as it sees fit. Accordingly, your optons are to work the scehdule your employer sets, refuse but risk termination, or quit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption