Can my boss defame my character to my co-workers?

UPDATED: Jan 4, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my boss defame my character to my co-workers?

I recently left a company where my immediate boss (VP of the company) consistently undermined me to my staff, talked about me, and told untruths in order to make herself look correct. Of course I decided not to deal with this unprofessional behavior and instead left the company (2days ago) after giving a 4 week notice. In the past few days I have received several phone calls from my previous staff telling me that the VP is still negatively talking about me and blaming me for her mistakes. Can I sue her for discrimination and defamation of character? Her actions can harm my career.

Asked on January 4, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, North Carolina


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

While most unprofessional this conduct is not necessarily actionable.  A former employer can make whatever comments it chooses to co-workers about a former employee as long as they do not constitute "slander". This means that you can only sue for remarks that are false and grossly untrue.  For example, statements of fact aren't legally actionable.  Therefore if your former boss siad that they would never re-hire you that's not defamatory because they can prove that it's true.  Additionally, statements of opinion aren't a basis for a lawsuit. So if your former boss said that, "I think X is the worst worker that I've ever supervised", while that may be hurtful and unfair, it does not constitute the basis for claim.   

Bottom line, in order to sue for defamation (slander), the information must be a false statement of fact.  And it's often very hard for a former employee to prove what is being said about them by a past employer; former co-workers will most likely refuse to get officially involved.  Without more details it's hard to say.  If you believe that your previous employer has defamed you, you should consult with an employment law attorney in your area.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption