Can my abusive biological father force me to stay on his health insurance until age 26?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my abusive biological father force me to stay on his health insurance until age 26?

I have been legally emancipated from my father since age 17 but he is refusing

to take me off his employer’s insurance so he can

Asked on September 7, 2016 under Insurance Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

The company cannot let you remove yourself against your father's will, since even if you are covered on the policy, it is *his* policy: you have no right to direct his employer or the insurer in who to include or not to include on the policy. What you can do is bring a legal action (lawsuit) in family court or chancery court, seeking a court order that (e.g. due to the emancipation) you be removed from the policy. With a court order, you can then require them to drop you: a court can require them to do what you cannot make them do yourself. You would be well-advised to retain a family law attorney to help you; good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption